Thursday, July 1, 2010

July Humidity

I knew we had reached July when I went out for my 13 mile long run early this morning. I felt good, dare I say "strong," on the outbound portion of my run. Of course, this is before the sun hit the horizon. By mile 11, I'm starting to wilt in the sun much like my lawn in the late afternoon. By my last mile, I'm doing a forced run/walk method and feel like a limp rag doll. My calves start to tighten and let me know they just might cramp. When I get home, I get in the pool for a cool down and swim. The water is so warm, there is little to no cool down effect.

This contrasts with the same run last week in which I completed the run without the wilting effect. What a difference a week makes in the summer. July is the month the humidity finally forces me indoors to treadmill training for my running. I'll still get out for rides, but will start to shorten them a bit after Vineman.

July also means the Tour de France!!! I love this event. I know that Alberto Contador is the overwhelming favorite, but the Schleck brothers should give him a run for his money. You can also never count out the race savvy Armstrong. If he sees an opportunity to go with a break away or take advantage of a miscalculation from Alberto, look for Lance to take full advantage. I guess I'm OK with July after all. Sure, I'll be forced into more indoor workouts. At least I'll have the Tour on TV to keep me company.

No comments:

Post a Comment