Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day BBQ

Last evening at a Memorial Day BBQ, I was asked by my buddy John whether I was signed up for the JFK 50 Mile Run that I had talked about doing in November. I explained that entry into JFK was by a lottery that opens in early July. "Well, what are you signed up for?" he asked. "At this point, after this weekend's Miami Nice Olympic tri and Vineman 70.3 in July, the only event I'm signed up for is Miami 70.3 in November."

The BBQ was in part a going away party for our friend Carrie, who is relocating back to Austin. I expressed how I like Austin and that our gang would have to come and do the Austin Marathon or Longhorn 70.3.

Later in the evening, Ironman friends Jerry and Miranda started pitching getting ready to sign up for Ironman Coeur d'Alene in June 2011. As most of you know, Ironman events open up registration for the following year the day after the event is held and they fill up fast. You need to be ready to pull the trigger on registration a whole year ahead of time. Jerry and Miranda were doing their best to get a group of us to commit to 2011. An idea I liked a lot.

A cyclist I spoke with told me about her bicycle trip through Spain last month. I've always wanted to do some bike touring and was fascinated by the details of how she and a friend toured for 3 weeks through the mountains and valleys of northern Spain.

Finally, I spoke with my ultra running friend Mandy. In asking her what she had scheduled, she mentioned that she was going to do the Lean Horse 100 Mile Run in South Dakota in late August. She also mentioned that they have a 50 mile run as part of that weekend. Why not see Mount Rushmore and give a 50 miler a go several months earlier than I had planned? Another very tempting offer.

As I lay in bed last night, my head was spinning. What were my options, and what had I committed to do? That night I dreamt that I was in the middle of running a 50 mile race. I somehow got sidetracked around mile 28 and was trying to get some food and water and get running again. I awoke realizing it was an anxiety dream like the ones where you are in school and realize you forgot to study for an exam. I've been hit with a tidal wave of options for future events. They all sounded like fun; however, with so many options, it started to feel like being pulled out to sea by a strong tide that will drown me.

Thus, I decided to take a step back and chill out. I'll defer on committing to future events and focus on those I've already registered to do. Other than that, I'm going to try to slow it down a little and enjoy life. I'll continue to work out, but I'm going to try to space the events out a bit.

1 comment:

  1. Chill out while we do our Ultra Trail runs here in North Carolina. I heard they serve wine and moonshine at Mile Marker #43

    ReplyDelete