Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Back to Training

It's funny how we can slip out of training in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure how it happened. I think life just got in the way. I was healing from a bike spill; another weekend got eaten up crewing for a runner in the Keys; and attending a conference in Orlando last week in Orlando didn't help. Too much delicious food and wine at evening buffets made me feel like a bloated pig. As I drove back to Fort Lauderdale Saturday afternoon, I was going to stop by Singer Island and late register for a sprint triathlon, but missed the expo times. Oh well, I thought, I'll just go for a long ride early Sunday morning. Instead, I end up staying up late Saturday night and sleeping in Sunday morning.

OK, I admit it. I fell of the training wagon. When I hit the ground, I kind of just lay there. Perhaps it's all just a natural breather from a pretty crowded race schedule from the Miami Marathon in January through St. Anthony's Triathlon in late April. It was a solid Winter and Spring. So, I'm not going to beat myself up. I'm just going to get back to the workout grind and gear back up for the summer schedule.

I did treadmill speed workouts on both Sunday and Monday mornings. I actually felt stronger on the Monday workout, so that's a good sign. This morning I got back out on the bike for 20 miles before work. I can tell I've been away from the bike a while because I can feel it in my neck when I'm in the aero position for a while. While I've got another conference coming up at the end of this week, I'm going to go to the hotel gym and at least hit the treadmill. Sunday, it's back to long riding. Even during my down time, I did get in a nice open water swim.

I've got an Olympic tri in Miami coming up in a couple of weeks. Then, Vineman 70.3 is on July 18th. So, it's back to the regular workout regime for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment