Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Random Thoughts Between Races

I spent the weekend working my church's annual Greek Festival. Buddy John & I manage the Taverna, an outdoor Greek restaurant with wait staff and menus that offered an extra level of service from your normal "get your food in a line and find a seat at a table" festival arrangement. It's a once a year gig that makes me appreciate just how hard it is to run a restaurant and manage a staff of waiters, bartenders, cashiers and food servers. After spending 3 days working my butt off, I don't have the mental energy to write a coherently themed entry. So here are some random thoughts for this week:

---I'm trying to get excited about the Winter Olympics, but I'm having trouble. While I love to ski, I find my main feeling in watching a skiing competition is that I should be out on the slopes instead of watching someone else skiing. I caught a biathlon competition the other day and even watched a couple of the ice skating pairs routines (no, I'm not gay, not that there's anything wrong with that). I just haven't caught Olympic fever yet. Hopefully, there will be interesting events over the next 10 days. I think the best way to enjoy the Olympics is to be there. I had the time of my life at the Athens Summer Olypmics in 2004.

---I've got the Fort Lauderdale Half Marathon this weekend and can't get too excited about that either. I ran a 10 miler with a group this weekend to get ready for this event, but coming off the Miami Marathon a little over 2 weeks ago, I really can run this one too hard without risking injury. Plus, after running a marathon, its a little harder to get excited for a half marathon. The other way around, its a build up. This way, its a bit of a chore. As I've got to start rebuilding long run mileage for the Paris Marathon in April, I'll do it. I'm sure once Sunday's race day is here, I'll get into the spirit of things. Maybe the expo is what I need to get excited again.

---Three weeks from this weekend wife Salome & I have the Miami International Triathlon. Holy Sh#t!!! I've got an Olympic distance tri to do in a little over 3 weeks. Its still too cold for an open water swim. It has been chilly on our bike rides to boot. This long and unusually cold winter in South Florida is not making the preparation easy.

1 comment:

  1. we are a screwed up nation, on many levels, but we are better than most. (like you said)and like they stated at the end of "Food, Inc.", it's up to us to make a change.

    snowboarding is actually pretty bad ass this year. just sayin'

    maybe you can find another purpose for the 1/2 this weekend? just a training run? an opportunity to encourage others on the course? an excuse to eat a cheeseburger (orgainic, of course:))?

    ReplyDelete